Vintages: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.
CHATEAU LYNCH-BAGES - Blanc de Lynch-Bages
Varieties: 58% Sauvignon, 30% Sémillon, 12% Muscadelle
Ageing: French oak barrels (80% new wood)
The 2009 Blanc de Lynch-Bages combines’ citrus and peach aromas with elegant hints of oak, very crisp and explosive on the palate, developing a voluptuous flavour with a fresh, understated, mineral aftertaste.
Extremely clement weather and perfectly ripe, healthy grapes enabled us to maximise the fruit by picking different parts of each individual plot at peak maturity. Fermentation lasted between 3 and 4 weeks and took place in barrels for 70% of the production (80% new oak). For the second year in a row, barrel temperatures were individually monitored throughout the fermentation process. During ageing, the lees are regularly stirred (bâtonnage) to bring out their aromas and soften the acidity.
At the gates of Pauillac, the Lynch-Bages Estate owes part of its name to the ancient hamlet of Bages, which for centuries was home to generations of winemakers.
The area of “Batges” is mentioned as early back as the sixteenth century in the terriers (estate records) of Lafite. The vineyard was established and then expanded by the Déjean family, one with a lineage of Pauillac dignitaries, solicitors, judges and merchants. Its great wine history began in the eighteenth century when, in 1728, it became the property of Chevalier Pierre Drouillard, Treasurer General of Guyenne, who purchased it from Bernard Déjean. Upon his death in 1749, Pierre Drouillard bequeathed the estate to his daughter, Elizabeth, who was then the wife of Thomas Lynch. The property thus passed into the Lynch family for seventy-five years.
Then known as the “Cru de Lynch”, the property was sold in 1824 to Sébastien Jurine, a wine merchant from Geneva who had newly moved in Bordeaux. Under the stewardship of his young son, André-Louis, it was classified among the Cinquièmes Crus in the prestigious 1855 Classification.
In 1862, “Jurine Bages” was sold to the brothers Cayrou wine merchants who restored the estate’s name, which has remained unchanged ever since as “Lynch-Bages”. Clearly a very wise decision...
Two generations later, the château was still in the hands of a member of the Cayrou family, General Félix de Vial. In the 1930s, he leased the vineyard to Jean-Charles Cazes, who was already in charge of Château Ormes de Pez in Saint-Estèphe. Cazes would go on to purchase both properties on the eve of the Second World War. Lynch-Bages has been run by the Cazes family ever since.